Not to be confused with vitamin K (K1) that has blood coagulation effect (anticoagulant). Unlike vitamin K1, vitamin K2 has no contraindications for patients taking anticoagulant or blood thinning medicines, except for Warfarin.
Osteocalcin is a vitamin K2 dependent protein. This means that in order to function properly it requires vitamin K2. Long-term deficiency of vitamin K2 leads to the loss of calcium and the destruction of bone quality. Also lead to calcium deposits in the arteries and internal organs (such as kidneys).
There are two forms of vitamin K2 called menaquinones:
- Menaquinone-4 (MK-4)
- Menaquinone-7 (MK-7)
MK-4 can be produced by the body in small amounts by converting vitamin K1 and it is found mainly in dark green vegetables (provided that you consume daily and in adequate amounts). The conversion is made in the testes, pancreas, and arterial walls. The main role of MK-4 is to prevent bone decalcification (calcium loss).
MK-7 is different from MK-4 and can not be produced in tissues or organs. Small quantities can be produced in the intestines by converting vitamin K1 in the presence of bacterial flora. The condition is that the healthy gut bacterial flora exist in sufficient numbers.
The suplementation with MK-7 reduces the risk of bone fractures and cardiovascular risk.
The combination of the two forms of Vitamin K2 (MK-4 + MK-7) ensure the protection of both bones and the cardiovascular system.
Super vitamin K2 can be used for:
- Vitamin K2 is essential for the absorption and metabolism of calcium and for its deposition in bones and teeth.
- Vitamin K2 prevents the accumulation of calcium in the arteries, joints or internal organs.
- Vitamin K2 reduces the risk of osteoporotic fractures.
- Two trace elements are important calcium metabolism i.e. boron and manganese. In combination with Vitamin D3 they play an essential role in calcium absorption and metabolism.
- Vitamin K2 is useful both in preventing and treating osteoporosis in association with calcium containing foods or supplements.
Recommended way of use (only for adults): 1 capsule per day.
- Consult your doctor before use if you administer anticoagulants!